CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sneaking suspicion

I have this strange feeling that this blog will very quickly transition from being "ours" to "mine." Marshall has never been much of a writer, and I have been publishing online in some form or another since I was 16. That being said, so much of our life is shared that I am sure he will feature prominently in much of what I have to say.

Today's post was sparked by my first (and so far only) loyal reader. On her blog, Chelsey posted a list of jobs that she has had. What follows is my list of occupations.

  • Babysitter - Babysitting has been a constant in my life since around age 12. I started out staying with some family friends (the oldest of which was only a couple years younger then myself) while their mother did some grocery shopping. By the time I was in 8th grade, I had a regular two-day-a-week job babysitting for a church family while the mom taught piano lessons and the father was at work. I kept this job during the school years until I graduated high school. I still "baby-sit" for friends in our Bible Study, though Marshall usually helps me and we call it "training" now.
  • Counter girl at Raphael's - This was first "real" job. I started working at this little Italian restaurant in the Wal-Mart shopping center the summer after I got my car. I applied on a whim one night when my family went in to eat, and a week later I was working there. It was a fairly easy job, but I came home feeling so greasy and sweaty every night. I was definitely happy to be done when the summer came to an end.
  • Office assistant in the Telecom office - By my senior year of high school, my mom was working at the University of the South. They offer a variety of summertime positions with priority given to staff relatives. The summer after I graduated high school, I worked in the Telecommunications office at the University. This was one of my favorite part time jobs. I was given many projects to complete and was allowed to direct myself most of the time. I learned how to repair and clean dorm telephones. I also drove around to the various dorms before summer programs began to check all the phones and lines to make sure everything was working properly. Probably my favorite part of the job was when I got to act as operator for the campus telephone system. Answering questions and directing calls was such fun, and I had plenty of time to read when I wasn't answering the phone.
  • Boone Tavern employee - Berea College (where I went directly after high school) has a student work program. Upon enrollment, each student is assigned an on-campus job. I was placed at the Boone Tavern (the hotel/restaurant on campus) and was introduced to waiting tables for the first time. I began as a server's assistant (refilling drinks, bussing tables, and serving spoonbread) and eventually became a server and occasional hostess. The best part about this job was its lucrative salary. Because I had a full scholarship, none of my money went towards paying of my bills (and I was paid much higher than normal server wages) and we were also allowed to keep all of our tips. During my first year of college, I actually made money instead of losing it.
  • Admission's Office Assistant - After my freshman year, I returned home and returned to Sewanee for summer work. This time I was placed in the Admission's Office (the telecom position had been turned into an internship). This was a basic office job: lots of filing and copying and errand running. My favorite part about this job was when I organized student files - I loved reading essays and resumes and counselor comments for all the incoming students.
  • Pearl's SA/server/bartender - When I decided to take a semester off before heading to Boyce, I knew I had to find a job that would bring in lots of cash. I applied at Pearl's with my minimal experience at Boone Tavern and ended up working at a great restaurant. I spent so many hours in that hot kitchen making pretty desserts and running random errands for Michael and learning how to form friendships with people with completely different perspectives on life. This job taught me how to work hard, but also how to relax and relate realistically with all sorts of people.
  • California Pizza Kitchen "everything" - Last, but not least, my current job. I have been at CPK for over three years now (the longest amount of time at a job besides babysitting). I have gone from being the shy takeout girl that never talked to anybody to being a lead server and trainer. There are times I get frustrated with management or policies or circumstances, but it's a great place to work. I love the people I work with, love the food, and love the steady income it provides.
There are my seven official jobs. I must not forget to mention my favorite occupation, however - wife and homemaker. It is a true blessing to serve God and my husband by taking care of the details of our home and finances. I also look forward to the day when I can add "mother" to my resume. And now, speaking of work, I must get ready for CPK tonight.

Mary Catherine

0 comments: